I’m addicted to podcasts. Here are a few reasons why:
- Continuous learning is essential. Our world moves really, really quickly and change is rampant. I fear becoming obsolete.
- Podcast content is of extremely high quality and value. Sure, there’s lots and lots of superficial garbage out there, but it’s easy to find more good stuff than I have time to listen to. (Wander around the podcast section of the iTunes Store, check out iTunesU, do a Google search. Pick one, listen to an episode or two, be brutal with unsubscribing.)
- Podcasts are free. Well, not all of them are free, but again, it’s easy to find more free stuff than I have time to listen to.
- Podcasts enable me to expose my brain to lots of knowledge without consuming more of my time. I fill in the dead spots of my day. While I’m working out (yes, belly notwithstanding, I actually do work out!), driving, standing in line at the %*&# airport…
- The variety of topics available is nothing less than astounding. Doesn’t matter what mood I’m in, or what happens to pique my interest at any given moment. I’ve got something relevant and interesting available.
Is it clear that I’m strongly urging you to get addicted as well? Wander and search as noted in the 2nd bullet above and/or check out a few of my personal favorites:
- Think About It… (OK, OK so I put my own first on the list…)
- Harvard Business IdeaCast
- McKinsey Quarterly
When you find another good one, let me know!