It doesn’t take a genius to realize that a prompt, succinct, professional, written sales call follow-up note/email to a customer or prospect is essential. It’s an outstanding, lasting way to:
- Reinforce your sales message
- Address (again) any objections that may have arisen
- Mention something you forgot to bring up during the meeting (Sometimes forgetting-on-purpose-and-mentioning-it-in-your-follow-up is an effective tactic.)
- Provide answers to questions that were deferred during the meeting
- Provide new/additional information
- Clarify & document action items
OK, so the sales call follow up note best practice is older than dirt, and you already probably do it habitually. (Right???) Is there a way to make this practice more effective? (Would I be writing this blog post if they’re weren’t?)
It is crazy to NOT include a digital sales tool with your sales call follow-up note.
Let’s say you’re selling something complex. In my case it might be Sales Process Engineering. I’d likely include the basic value proposition for “SPE,” mentioning that when well-executed, it can drive an 8-12% annual incremental increase in effective sales capacity. I’d also touch on 2 or 3 other topics very specifically relating the conversation.
Then I’d think of three more things…
- I want the exec I met with to really remember what SPE is all about
- I want that exec to able to articulate the basics of SPE to other execs in that organization
- I realize that item #2 is hugely unlikely
So how about including a piece of digital media that accomplishes what I want? Like the following video for example.
- It reviews and reinforces my sales call
- It provides a gentle “reminder” tutorial for the called-on exec
- It gives the exec an incredibly easy way to share the value of SPE with anyone else in the organization.
Did I mention that it gives the called-on exec an incredibly easy way to share the value of SPE with anyone else in the organization? I don’t need to depend on my internal champion to articulate my value prop, I just need him to recommend watching a 4 minute video.
BOTTOM LINE… Attach a video or audio or some digital sales tool to every one of your sales call follow-up notes.